Excellent opportunity for a Staff Nurse based in Ratheane based in Coleraine
Ratheane (Coleraine) and Leabank (Ballycastle)
Days and Nights Available
Full Time and Relief Available
Salary: £16.00 per hour
*Overtime rate may apply
Job Title: Staff Nurse
Reporting: Deputy Nurse Manager/Nurse Manager
Basic Function: Is a member of the nursing team and is responsible for carrying out duties within the programme of patient care. Ensures all nursing practices are of a high standard and works within the primary nurse setting, in line with the Patient Charter of Rights, and under the Nursing Home Minimum Standards.
- RGN/RMN Qualification
- NMC Registration
- Current PREPP, Primary Nursing, Care Planning and The Patients Charter
- Dealing with problems associated with the elderly
- Ability to work set hours, flexible to meet the needs of the organization
- Good General Health (medically fit)
- Must have a good command of written and spoken English and a valid work permit
- 1 years experience in a similar role
- Nursing of the Elderly in a Nursing Home Setting
- Management skills needed for a care team
- Commitment to The Macklin Care Homes Mission, Vision and Core Values
- Core Values - Treat People Really Well, Continuous Development, Trust and Dedication.
- Priorities - Our Teams, Our Residents, Our Community, Our Future
- Ability to deliver a high standard of patient care
- Exceptional organisational skills
- Ability to communicate and listen, ability to work co-operatively with other staff
- Ability to work under pressure and use own initiative
- High standard of personal presentation
- Attention to detail
Is a member of the nursing team and is responsible for carrying out duties within the programme of patient care. Ensures all nursing practices are of a high standard and works within the primary nurse setting, in line with the Patient Charter of Rights, and under the Nursing Home Minimum Standards.
- Works within the NMC Professional Code of Conduct complying with all legal and statutory requirements outlined.
- Admits patients into the Home. Makes assessments and develops care plans using the RLT module of nursing.
- Completes assessments on nutrition, continence, skin viability and risks regarding falls and use of cot sides.
- On the basis of assessments makes referrals to relevant authorities i.e. Speech and Language Therapists, O.T.’s, Physios, Dieticians and Social Workers.
- Organises patient appointments outside the Home – ensures suitable transport and escort is in place.
- Ensures that all patients receive the care identified in their care plans and that it is carried out to the highest standard.
- Ensure that care plans are completed and evaluated regularly to meet the needs of the resident.
- Collects specimens including bloods and sends to laboratory.
- Maintains enteral feeding tubes and replaces as necessary.
- Ensures that nursing procedures and treatments are understood by staff and are carried out according to established policies and procedures.
- Observes and reports on patients’ health status and maintains a high standard of record keeping and documentation by complying with the NMC Standards for Record Keeping.
- Supervises the serving of meals and ensures that patients’ nutritional needs are met.
- Ensures nursing care priorities are met and manages auxiliary staff in the non-nursing duties, when time permits these duties to be carried out.
- Adheres to regulations outlined in the 'Controlled Drugs Act' and the policy entitled 'Custody, Storage and Administration of Drugs and Medicines'.
- Ensures the social and spiritual welfare of each patient by monitoring social needs as outlined in the patients care plan, requesting external help from professional services and involving relatives and friends in the interaction of the patient with the environment.
- Checks-in all pharmacy deliveries.
- Cleans drug trolleys and stocks cupboard.
- Ensures all nursing equipment & areas are kept clean.
- Maintains audits ready for inspection.
- Takes part in multi-disciplinary reviews with patients and also regular reviews with named workers
- Liaises with the named worker, G.P. and relatives in continuing care of the patients.
- Liaises with Community Nursing Services to ensure a satisfactory integrated care program for each patient.
- Continues the Company’s policy of being polite and courteous to all doctors, pharmacists, external medical staff, patient’s relatives and friends, religious practitioners and the Northern Health Board Nursing Home Inspection Unit Team.
- Continually updates oneself on current procedures through the use of literature available in the home and attend internal and external courses when requested by the Senior Staff Nurse/Matron.
- Complies with all infection control measures operating within the Home.
- Wears protective clothing as required.
- Takes responsibility for the protection of vulnerable adults and reports to management where they consider a person has caused harm or posed risk of harm to any patient
- Day to day management of staff to include responsibilities relating to HR policies and procedures.
- Is compliant with the Company’s Health and Safety Procedures.
- Adheres to the fire and accident prevention policy of the Home and participates in the investigation and prevention of all incidents/accidents in the Home.
- Observes confidentiality at all times.
- Ensures the economic use of all supplies and equipment. Maintaining all these resources in a satisfactory condition and reporting any faults/breakages.
- Participates in research and trials of new equipment.
- Ensures the safe keeping of patient’s belongings and valuables in accordance with the Home policy.
- Does not accept gifts from patients or witness a patient’s will.
- Acts in the absence of Senior staff nurse/Matron/Nurse Manager
- Participates in the orientation of new staff.
- Manages staff breaks/absenteeism/holidays.
- Participates in the developing of good interpersonal relationships between all staff members.
- Notifies Senior Staff Nurse/Matron of any sign of ill health or stress in staff members in the Home.
- Is compliant with the Company’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Is familiar with the Home’s fire evacuation procedures
- Is compliant with all Company’s personnel/HR policies.
This job description will be subject to review in the light of changing circumstances and may include any other duties and responsibilities as may be determined in consultation with the jobholder. It is not intended to be rigid and inflexible, but should be regarded as providing guidelines within which the individual works.
To apply please click on the APPLY NOW button below to be directed to the company website
Closing date: 22/12/2017 11:59 pm