Citi’s Legal Department in Belfast is a critical part of the Citi organisation that works closely with our London Legal Department and provides legal and compliance coverage for a wide range of financial products and services.
Citi, the world leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and a presence in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions worldwide. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Citi enables clients to achieve their strategic financial objectives by providing them with cutting-edge ideas, best-in-class products and solutions, and unparalleled access to capital and liquidity.
Citi’s Legal Department in Belfast is a critical part of the Citi organisation that works closely with our London Legal Department and provides legal and compliance coverage for a wide range of financial products and services spanning Citi’s global business with a particular focus on the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) business region.
A leading provider of financial services and investment banking opportunities to financial institutions and corporate clients, governments and retail banking clients, doing business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions and with a legacy reaching back almost 200 years Citi is uniquely qualified to provide services to clients with both local and cross border interests.
Citi is committed to running our business in a manner that benefits society and the environment with a strategic focus on corporate citizenship both local and global.
Citi is an equal-opportunities employer
Role / Position Overview:
The role is in Citi’s EMEA Debt Capital Markets Legal team (DCM Legal) in Belfast. DCM Legal is part of the broader ICG Corporate and Investment Banking Legal group (CIB Legal). CIB Legal is a global team providing legal coverage and support for Citi’s Debt Capital Markets, Equity Capital Markets and Investment Banking and MandA businesses.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the drafting, review and negotiation of debt capital markets documentation and will work closely with the capital markets origination team and risk management globally.
DCM Legal in Belfast comprises five team members and works closely with DCM Legal colleagues in London to provide advice and assistance on legal issues to the DCM business as they arise. Team members are closely involved in drafting, reviewing and negotiating documentation, including MTN drawdowns, dealer agreements, legal opinions, auditors’ arrangement and comfort letters and confidentiality agreements. DCM Legal may also provide legal input on non-transactional matters, including regulatory and other market developments. As part of Citi’s internal control architecture, every team member is also an important part ensuring compliance with Citi policies and procedures to protect the Citi franchise. Commercial awareness and good judgment are therefore essential skills for the successful candidate.
Citi’s Debt Capital Markets Origination group is one of the market-leading businesses in the EMEA region with a particular focus on high grade sovereign and corporate issuance, emerging markets, hybrid and regulatory capital, high yield and liability management.
• Providing legal coverage for debt capital markets transactions, including MTN program drawdowns, EMTN programmes, ECP programmes and Certificates of Deposit.
• Drafting, negotiating and managing legal documentation, in particular, confidentiality agreements, dealer agreements, final terms, arrangement letters, comfort letters and legal opinions.
• Identifying franchise risk and policy/business waivers that may be required.
• Identifying legal risks and opportunities presented by transactions and ensuring that Citi’s policy, legal and regulatory standards are maintained.
• Liaising with country lawyers as well as other control groups within Citi, such as Risk, Tax and Compliance.
• Providing support on debt capital markets related aspects of internal infrastructure projects.
The successful candidate would:
• have exposure to a wide variety of innovative and challenging products and will enjoy working in a dynamic, proactive and collegiate legal team;
• learn to manage legal risk in a large variety of scenarios typical of an international underwriting bank;
• come into contact with internal processes and structures across the bank as well as dealing with other groups within legal;
• learn to escalate material issues to senior team members and then on to senior management within the bank;
• be encouraged to attend training courses covering a broad range of activities related to legal transaction management as well as having access to broader group wide training available to lawyers in the CIB Legal.
• Ability to multi task and take personal responsibility/ownership of a number of projects concurrently.
• Exposure to working in a detail and time sensitive, environment.
• Knowledge of debt capital markets documentation and market practice would be beneficial.
• Good interpersonal communication and influencing skills.
• Ability to assimilate complex issues and communicate concisely and clearly.
• Excellent technical and analytical skills.
• Strong business judgment and commercial awareness.
• Ability to project manage and organise own workload effectively meeting strict deadlines.
• Ability to provide continuous feedback and to follow up regularly on all outstanding issues without prompting.
• Ability to work in a professional but demanding environment.
• Working knowledge of Windows applications such as Word and Excel.
• Law degree.
• Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience.
• Exceptional communication skills (both written and oral), including a high level of literacy and clarity of expression.
• Transaction Management skills.
• Proactive and shows initiative.
• Co-operative, team oriented and collaborative working style.
• Effective planning, organisation and prioritisation skills with ability to work to tight deadlines.
• Good attention to detail.
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience.
Valuing Diversity: Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions
or actions and organisational success.
What we Offer:
As well as a competitive salary and consideration for a yearly discretionary bonus Citi offer:
• 23 days paid annual leave
• Award winning pension scheme,
• Life assurance and
• Private medical insurance with Bupa healthcare.
In addition, we offer a competitive maternity, paternity and adoption leave scheme and employees also have the option (provided they have a student loan from the Student Loan Company) to divert saver and company match contributions to their student loan. We pride ourselves on our ability to offer employees a number of lifestyle benefits including; on site restaurant and coffee shops, online shopping and concierge service and subsidised clubs and societies.
Our select benefit package offers you the opportunity to customise your benefits according to your own lifestyle preferences and includes corporate discounts, memberships and a range of additional extras.
Our vast range of diversity networks and on site multi faith room demonstrates Citi’s commitment to growing a diverse workforce.
Please enter your email address
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter your email address
Please enter a valid email address